Thursday, June 3, 2010

My 2010 Summer Vegetable Garden

This spring, I started my lettuce (Arugula, Oak Leaf, Red Salad Bowl, Red Verona Chicory, Batavian Endive and Garden Cress) in cold frames.

I grew spinach in pots, sprouted numerous seeds (sugar peas, corn, long beans) and started my tomatoes.

Memorial Day is my family's traditional day to switch from the Spring garden to a Summer garden. We harvested our greens (about 50 pounds of lettuces this year) and shared them with family and friends.

Our 2010 Summer garden includes heirloom species from Russell's Garden Center in Wayland, vegetables from Volante Farms in Needham, and seeds from Kitazawa Seed Company. Here's the inventory:

Basil - Sweet
Beets - Chioggia heirloom
Borage
Broccoli
Cabbage - Red
Carrots - Atomic Red, Solar Yellow, Cosmic Purple, Lunar White
Corn - Early Sunglow Hybrid
Cucumber - Sooyow Nishiki
Eggplant - Dewako One Bite Hybrid
Parsley
Rosemary
Sage
Squash - Winter Squash Hybrid Kurinishiki, Hokkaido Blue Squash, Yellow crook neck
Thyme
Tomatoes - Sun Gold, Super Sweet 100, Suncherry
Turnips - Tokyo Cross hybrid

We'll harvest everything in early August before our annual vacation to the Eastern Sierra and then plant our Fall garden. More to come when I harvest!

1 comment:

Ann Flowers said...

I just recently discovered your blog and am so glad I did. What a sweet post!